Tuesday, May 30, 2006
I now weigh 161.5 as of this morning! up about 3 lbs for those who may know what I weighed last week.
Hot sweaty days, lots of sitting around, lots of junk food around and a host of "motherly" types trying to feed me all weekend .. bad combinations.
1) Continue the fruit with every breakfast, and limit myself to one (planned in advance to be healthier) snack before lunch, and one after. 3x a week bringing my lunch might be challenging, but I can force myself to eat healthier when going out.
2) Same fitness goals as last week. I found 3x a week weights and 3x a week cardio challenging to get to. In addition to that I would like to do at least one physical activity for an hour, like Hiking, bike riding, stiff walking, rollerblading, mowing the lawn, whatever.
So far its Tuesday and I just worked out this evening. Since I'm leaving town yet again on Friday (Camping with my Girl Scouts) this means I need to work out the next 2 days consecutively. I might be able to let a cardio slide and get a hike in this weekend.
The man is attempting to police my diet. Not working so well... I pigged out on Pringles today. Not the Sour Cream and Onion kind we used to eat, but the Cheese-Ums that I adore... :)
Ok - so goal for the week - workout once. Only once because I'm pretty sure THAT is attainable... ;)
Thursday, May 25, 2006
By Denis Faye
Hold on to that sweaty feeling! We know it's hard! We know it's easier just to sit on the couch. And sometimes, we know you're just not getting the results as fast as you'd like. But things are happening, honestly! Muscles are toning, fat's melting. You just need to keep at it.
Here are five quick tips to help you do just that.
- Enlist a buddy. Misery loves company, right? Grab your wife, husband, sister, brother, mailman, whoever—anyone who can join you on your quest to get fit. If there's no one in the immediate vicinity, log on to the Beachbody Message Boards. Tons of folks log on every day looking for a workout buddy. Once you find that pal, you can use tools like WOWY® to keep each other honest.
- Pick the right program. Far too many people pick the program they think they need without accounting for their personal tastes. Into pumping iron? Then don't do Turbo Jam or Yoga Booty Ballet. Instead, hit it hard with Power 90® or P90X®! Have a look around, talk to a few people, and pick something that looks fun. That'll keep you motivated. Even if another program might fit your goals a little better, there's no point if you're not going to finish.
- Baby steps. About three days into P90X, another 87 workouts seems like a lot. Try to get out of this mind-set. Think weekly. If you get to Sunday, to your rest day, you'll have accomplished a week of hard work. You can assess the next week later.
- Along these same lines, consider a lesser goal. Fifty pounds in eight weeks is rather daunting. Start by losing ten pounds. Once you're there, reassess and set another small goal.
- WOWY®. This is our free online gym (stands for "Work Out With You"). It's a feature that allows people to alert others as to what workout they're doing, when they're doing it, and how it's going. Even if you don't have a workout buddy (as suggested in the first tip), it's still a great way to be held accountable and be inspired by any others on the same quest for fitness as you.
- Nude up. Okay, this one is a bit out there, but try to spend as much time with your clothes off as possible. If you still have a long way to go, it'll serve as a reminder of the things you're striving to change. If you're well on your way, it'll remind you of all you've accomplished, especially when you walk by a mirror and think, "Who's that hottie?" Sometimes a little narcissism is a good thing. That said, you might want to strap a few of your bits down when actually working out.
If you'd like to ask a question or comment on a newsletter article, just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Check Steve Edwards' Mailbag for his responses to reader comments.
For Steve's views on fitness, nutrition, and outdoor sports, read his blog, The Straight Dope.
Friday, May 19, 2006
My plan for the next week is as follows:
1. Workout every day.
2. Eat way better than I am - aiming for 1500 calories or less.
And here's the reason why... my dress. Ok, so it hasn't been purchased yet or even tried on, but it's my inspiration...
Gee, maybe I should wait to pick things out until I get a ring? ;)
1) Pack a lunch 3 times a week (include a large salad)
2) Instead of my default breakfast of v8 juice and toast or cereal... have fruit
3) In addition to increasing my outdoor activities like Volleyball, walks, biking, I need to strengthen my wrists by starting light weightlifing 3x a week
4) GO TO BED always by 11pm during the week